- This topic is empty.
November 9, 2020 at 3:16 am #4958Dave ThompsonGuest
The Devil in the White City
Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America
by Erik Larson
- Release date: February 11, 2003
- Genres: history, crime, historical, mystery, biography
- Awards: International Horror Guild Award for Nonfiction (2003), Book Sense Book of the Year Award Nominee (2004), Great Lakes Book Award Nominee for Nonfiction Shortlist (2003), Edgar Award for Best Fact Crime (2004), Washington State Book Award (2004)
- Format: hardcover, 447 pages
- Publisher: Crown Publishers
- ISBN: 9780609608449 (0609608444)
- Language: english
- Author: Erik Larson
- Places: Chicago, Illinois, Illinois
- Characters: Daniel Burnham, H.H. Holmes
About The Book
Author Erik Larson imbues the incredible events surrounding the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair with such drama that readers may find themselves checking the book’s categorization to be sure that ‘The Devil in the White City’ is not, in fact, a highly imaginative novel. Larson tells the stories of two men: Daniel H. Burnham, the architect responsible for the fair’s construction, and H.H. Holmes, a serial killer masquerading as a charming doctor.
Burnham’s challenge was immense. In a short period of time, he was forced to overcome the death of his partner and numerous other obstacles to construct the famous “White City” around which the fair was built. His efforts to complete the project, and the fair’s incredible success, are skillfully related along with entertaining appearances by such notables as Buffalo Bill Cody, Susan B. Anthony, and Thomas Edison.
The activities of the sinister Dr. Holmes, who is believed to be responsible for scores of murders around the time of the fair, are equally remarkable. He devised and erected the World’s Fair Hotel, complete with crematorium and gas chamber, near the fairgrounds and used the event as well as his own charismatic personality to lure victims.
Combining the stories of an architect and a killer in one book, mostly in alternating chapters, seems like an odd choice but it works. The magical appeal and horrifying dark side of 19th-century Chicago are both revealed through Larson’s skillful writing. — John Moe
TXT The Devil in the White City buy cheap. Online book The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson read online for iOS on Barnes & Noble. EPUB ebook The Devil in the White City download on Android on Powells.
PDF ebook The Devil in the White City Erik Larson. Hardback The Devil in the White City read on Booktopia. Hardcover book The Devil in the White City Erik Larson download iPhone.November 9, 2020 at 3:47 am #4965projectatGuest
Field Notes on Love by Jennifer E. Smith | 9780399559419
- The forum ‘ProjectAT Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.