- This topic is empty.
November 5, 2020 at 8:15 pm #4265Alexandria VaughnGuest
The Testament of Mary
by Colm Tóibín
- Publisher: Scribner
- Genres: fiction, religion, historical, literature, ireland, novella
- Release date: November 13, 2012
- Format: hardcover, 81 pages
- ISBN: 9781451688382 (1451688385)
- Awards: Booker Prize Nominee (2013), Andrew Carnegie Medal Nominee for Fiction (2013), Europese Literatuurprijs Nominee (2014)
- Language: english
- Places: Nazareth, Jerusalem
- Characters: Mary, mother of Jesus (Bible)
- Author: Colm Tóibín
About The Book
Provocative, haunting, and indelible, Colm Tóibín’s portrait of Mary presents her as a solitary older woman still seeking to understand the events that become the narrative of the New Testament and the foundation of Christianity.
In the ancient town of Ephesus, Mary lives alone, years after her son’s crucifixion. She has no interest in collaborating with the authors of the Gospel — her keepers, who provide her with food and shelter and visit her regularly. She does not agree that her son is the Son of God; nor that his death was “worth it;” nor that the “group of misfits he gathered around him, men who could not look a woman in the eye,” were holy disciples. Mary judges herself ruthlessly (she did not stay at the foot of the Cross until her son died — she fled, to save herself), and is equally harsh on her judgment of others. This woman who we know from centuries of paintings and scripture as the docile, loving, silent, long-suffering, obedient, worshipful mother of Christ becomes, in Toibin’s searing evocation, a tragic heroine with the relentless eloquence of Electra or Medea or Antigone. This tour de force of imagination and language is a portrait so vivid and convincing that our image of Mary will be forever transformed.
MOBI The Testament of Mary buy on Kindle on IndieBound. Hardback ebook The Testament of Mary Colm Tóibín download. Hardcover book The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín read online for Mac on Bookshop.
- The forum ‘ProjectAT Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.