- This topic is empty.
November 3, 2020 at 4:17 pm #3755Helen EsquibelGuest
by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, Jonathan Snipes
- Release date: November 5, 2019
- Awards: Hugo Award Nominee for Best Novella (2020), Nebula Award Nominee for Best Novella (2019), Locus Award Nominee for Best Novella (2020), Lambda Literary Award for LGBT Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror (2019), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Science Fiction (2019)
- ISBN: 9781534439863 (1534439862)
- Publisher: Gallery / Saga Press
- Language: english
- Genres: fantasy, fiction, adult, novella, lgbt, queer, mermaids, mythology
- Author: Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, Jonathan Snipes
- Format: hardcover, 166 pages
About The Book
The water-breathing descendants of African slave women tossed overboard have built their own underwater society — and must reclaim the memories of their past to shape their future in this brilliantly imaginative novella inspired by the Hugo Award nominated song “The Deep” from Daveed Diggs’ rap group Clipping.
Yetu holds the memories for her people — water-dwelling descendants of pregnant African slave women thrown overboard by slave owners — who live idyllic lives in the deep. Their past, too traumatic to be remembered regularly, is forgotten by everyone, save one — the historian. This demanding role has been bestowed on Yetu.
Yetu remembers for everyone, and the memories, painful and wonderful, traumatic and terrible and miraculous, are destroying her. And so, she flees to the surface, escaping the memories, the expectations, and the responsibilities — and discovers a world her people left behind long ago.
Yetu will learn more than she ever expected to about her own past — and about the future of her people. If they are all to survive, they’ll need to reclaim the memories, reclaim their identity — and own who they really are.
Inspired by a song produced by the rap group Clipping for the This American Life episode “We Are In The Future,” The Deep is vividly original and uniquely affecting.
Online The Deep by Rivers Solomon reader on Books-a-Million. TXT book The Deep read online. MP3 ebook The Deep Rivers Solomon buy for iPad on Dymocks. EPUB The Deep download.
- The forum ‘ProjectAT Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.