- This topic is empty.
November 8, 2020 at 8:30 am #4788Christine HawkinsGuest
An Intimate History
by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- Author: Siddhartha Mukherjee
- Publisher: Scribner
- Release date: May 17, 2016
- ISBN: 9781476733500 (1476733503)
- Genres: science, history, biology, medicine, genetics, health, medical
- Awards: Royal Society Science Book Prize Nominee (2016), Wellcome Book Prize Nominee (2017), PEN/E.O. Wilson Prize for Literary Science Writing Nominee for Longlist (2017), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Science & Technology (2016), The Baillie Gifford Prize for Non-Fiction Nominee for Longlist (2016)
- Format: hardcover, 592 pages
- Language: english
About The Book
Spanning the globe and several centuries, The Gene is the story of the quest to decipher the master-code that makes and defines humans, that governs our form and function.
The story of the gene begins in an obscure Augustinian abbey in Moravia in 1856 where a monk stumbles on the idea of a ‘unit of heredity’. It intersects with Darwin’s theory of evolution, and collides with the horrors of Nazi eugenics in the 1940s. The gene transforms post-war biology. It reorganizes our understanding of sexuality, temperament, choice and free will. This is a story driven by human ingenuity and obsessive minds — from Charles Darwin and Gregor Mendel to Francis Crick, James Watson and Rosalind Franklin, and the thousands of scientists still working to understand the code of codes.
This is an epic, moving history of a scientific idea coming to life, by the author of The Emperor of All Maladies. But woven through The Gene, like a red line, is also an intimate history — the story of Mukherjee’s own family and its recurring pattern of mental illness, reminding us that genetics is vitally relevant to everyday lives. These concerns reverberate even more urgently today as we learn to “read” and “write” the human genome — unleashing the potential to change the fates and identities of our children.
Majestic in its ambition, and unflinching in its honesty, The Gene gives us a definitive account of the fundamental unit of heredity — and a vision of both humanity’s past and future.
FictionBook ebook The Gene Siddhartha Mukherjee download. Online The Gene PocketBook on Book Depository. MP3 book The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee buy cheap on iOS on Bookshop.
PDF ebook The Gene read. Hardcover The Gene Siddhartha Mukherjee. Paperback book The Gene read online for PC on Dymocks.November 8, 2020 at 9:02 am #4794projectatGuest
The Scent Keeper · Erica Bauermeister · 9781250200136
- The forum ‘ProjectAT Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.